Signs of depression :
The most commonly reported signs of depression are as follow :
- A depression or low feeling of sadness
- Increased anxiety or a feeling of nervousness.
- Increased irritability.
- Tearfulness or feeling of wanting to cry but unable to do so .
- Feeling of worthless, useless and helpless.
- Change in appetite resulting in either weight loss or weight gain when not dieting.
- Changes in sleep pattern with either difficulty in falling asleep frequent waking during the night or waking up unusually early in the morning and not being able to return to sleep. sleep may be increased with the desire to be asleep most of the time.
- A feeling that life is not worth living and frequently thinking about death and suicide.
- Not bothering to dress properly self neglect .
- A slowing down or speeding up of physical activity (including speaking very softly or slowly)
- Multiple physical pains , frequent headaches, frequent back aches, stomach aches or constipation.
- A feeling of not being a part of social parties frequently not being comfortable in friends parties or social gatherings. one doesn’t feel like to be part of any kind of social events.
Feeling of helplessness and hopelessness no interest in things formally enjoyed.
In most of the cases the signs of depression are part of a normal human cognitive process of mental healing.
For example “closing yourself off from friends increase time to think about and fix your problems mentally “. Having trouble in concentrating on things you enjoyed before increases time to think about your problem. Depressed people tend to think more analytically and objectively about problems instead of emotionally .Which can cause the depressive symptom of being emotionally far away, discussing suicide with the same emotional attachment as going to dinner.
The person who goes through one of these traumatic experiences may start questioning the meaning of life . They also might start feeling worthless, especially if they have just lost their job. sometimes no one even trigger depression. A person who frequently suffers from depression may just get fall into a depression.
Some people get depressed when they don’t see enough of sun, this is called Seasonal Affective Disorder and is not as severe as clinical depression.
Concluding it must be pointed out that one does not necessarily need to experience all signs of depression to be regarded depressed. also the intensity of the depression may vary over time to time and patient to patient, also depending on the kind of depression he or she has. If you or anyone you know shows all or more of the signs of depression listed above it is definitely advised to take action sooner rather than later. To get a proper diagnosis of the condition the first way should lead to a medical practitioner who will also be able to verify the symptoms of depression and to advise on the best treatment for the specified depression case. Always keep in mind : depression is a disease that affects millions of people worldwide, but there are many highly effective ways available to treat it once it is properly diagnosed.